Monday, October 15, 2012

Running pregnant

Finishing the Squash for Josh 5k September 22 

One of my biggest accomplishments so far this pregnancy, has been keeping up with half marathon training. I will be the first to admit, my weekday runs have been a little shaky, but my Sunday long distance runs have been on point for months now. Things started off rough during the first trimester, where my first distance run (of 6 miles) felt like forever and I had to stop frequently to catch my breath, ease the pain of cramping, or, I dunno, try not to hurl. Each week I've tried to really get into a rhythm with my preparation, eating habits, and pace of the runs themselves, and things seem to be going pretty well. I have two running buddies and am always running with someone for my long runs. I've felt really good throughout training for the most part, but there is no way I'd be able to clock the distance on my own. Also, having a buddy keeps me talking for most of the run, which let's me know my heart rate is staying where it needs to be.

At present, I am 2 training runs away from race day and have topped out at 12 miles. A half marathon is 13.1 miles and it's looking like it shouldn't be a problem. Part of my reasoning for hitting my longest distance so quickly is that I know in the coming weeks I can expect some belly growth and I know from previous race training, that I do better getting the mileage down and then working on my pace and maintaining.

After an awesome 8 miler this morning, the plan is to hit 12 again next weekend and then possibly 8-10 the weekend before the race. I'm getting really excited for the run itself, but honestly? I'm a little excited for it to be over as well. Like I said, I'm feeling great, but I'm ready to sleep in or at least veg out a little bit on my weekend mornings. I still plan on running as long as I can through the rest of this pregnancy and my goal is to maintain a distance of 5 miles after the race so that it won't be too hard to start back up once the baby arrives. I'm also planning on running the same race again next November...which should put me at about 7 months post partum. Not a bad goal, right?!

xo,
H

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great and I continue to be so impressed with how well you've maintained. Inspiration you are, gal! Know you're going to nail this half :) I hope you'll keep posting about the runs throughout the pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete