Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Let's back up

Yesterday, when I sat and posted something other than a monthly update for Charlotte, I realized that I haven't really written anything other than those updates since almost June. Shame on me. I even skipped out on the entire month of August...so I thought I'd quickly recap what's going on in the M household and how the past few months have gone. Then we can start fresh-- deal?

Good, let's go.

So we all know D came home from deployment July 6th and it was a day we will all never forget. He had the weekend off (how generous, right?) to get reacclimated with the fam, and then he had 2 weeks of basically out briefs before getting 30 days of leave. I think it was good he had "work" for those first couple of weeks, because it really is a big change to have someone back after they've been gone for 9 months. You're used to doing everything solo, being the boss, and it's definitely an adjustment to realize that you now share the responsibilities with someone else. In most ways, it's awesome- You mean I don't have to feed, bathe, clean up from dinner, get kids in pjs ,prep bottles and clothes for school the next morning, straighten the house, deal with the dogs, and finish up work from earlier in the day by myself anymore? Sweet. It also means that you have someone else's opinion to consider and changes that have occurred during the time they were gone that they need to catch up on and learn how to be a part of. Mostly it's little things, but it can throw everyone for a loop while it all gets ironed out. Yes, we have two kids now. (Kind of a biggie.) Grace can talk in sentences...let her tell you what she wants. This is how we do things with the baby. I know, it's crazy, you can absolutely take two children out in public...I did it by myself, so it probably shouldn't be an issue with two of us here together. HA. It's hard not to throw around the "by myself" thing, but I had to remember- coming home to an additional family member is sort of a huge deal. It absolutely took time to adjust, as easy of a baby as Charlie is.

Making herself comfortable.

Just trouble.

One of my favorite pictures ever.

 

Serious twins. She doesn't even look related to me.

By the time D was home for 30 days of leave, we had things pretty much settled and it was basically a second honeymoon period. I work from home, so we made time to take lunch dates, he got to enjoy doing house things, relaxing after working for 9 months straight, golfing, and enjoying getting to know our daughters (again for Grace and for the first time with Charlie).

We took some trips...Virginia the first weekend in August to see family in a whirlwind 3 days, and North Carolina the following weekend for a wedding that D was a part of. We had parents watching the girls and had a couple of days to ourselves. It was great, but of course we ended up thinking the location would be perfect to take the girls back to for a trip next Summer. :)

Cutest road trippers ever. Until the first of several car seat blowouts.
 
We rode a camel at the Leesburg Fair.
Grace was terrified, but still talks about it to this day.
I earned major cool points.
 
Mah boo and I.
Kid and cell phone service free in the mountains of NC.
The rest of August brought D back to work...that time off passed way too quickly, but allowed us to again settle in to what is our regular schedule. We've had several good friends have babies (all 3 girls!) and are enjoying our family life being a little less exciting for awhile. Our marathon training continues and we've learned that while we love working out together (give us a good WOD and we'll have a blast), we really don't run well with each other. Like I mentioned yesterday, this deserves a post of it's own and I'll elaborate more later this week, hopefully. We both are working full-time Monday-Friday and the girls are both at a Montessori school/daycare together. Grace is participating is both dance and soccer and it is a total peek in to what the future will hold when the kids are in school and activities and things get even more crazy, but I seriously love it. Most days I still feel like we have a million things going on and it never really settles down, but with D here, I think I embrace it a little more and am way less stressed. In short: we're really good.

Now September is wrapping up and my most favorite season of the year has arrived. We have more birthdays, holidays, some races, and our 4 year anniversary on the horizon. Lots to come. :)

xo,
H

2 comments:

  1. I smiled my entire way through this post. So happy your family is once again whole and cannot wait for a visit in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the update lady and you looked gorgeous in that dress for the wedding. Can imagine it was a big transition but you two are amazing. Much love to all four of you and the crazy doggies too :)

    ReplyDelete