Friday, September 9, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

After we got home on Monday and it was 85 degrees with a light breeze out, I was ready to get my Fall on. For Louisiana this time of year, the 80's are heaven and this whole past week has had us outside and enjoying it while it lasts. Yes, it's supposed to get hot again next week. So for now we are pretending that Fall has arrived and I had a serious urge to make something pumpkin. I found a pumpkin cookie recipe online and made a few modifications.

They were good. Little, moist pumpkin cakes kind of good. So good I gave most of them to Grace's teachers at daycare because my lunch on Tuesday consisted of 5 or 6 of them. Good enough I was going to not share this recipe so that they could be my secret. (Rude, huh?) They were gone by the time I went to pick Grace up in the afternoon and her daycare ladies were raving. Even D, the most picky food critic I know, goes, "Wow. You need to get these out of the house." Just trust me. They are good.

Now that I've talked them up, here's how you make the magic happen:

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon*
1 tsp. nutmeg*
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to bake at 350
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) and mix. In separate bowl or KitchenAid, combine butter and sugars and mix. Next add pumpkin, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet, more mixing.
4. Using a melon or cookie scoop, scoop your dough onto cookie sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes. Mine took 12...don't let these bake too long, you want them soft. Also, they pretty much stay the shape you drop them in and just "fluff up" a little.
5. Cool and enjoy...or don't let them cool...they are sooooo good warm

*You can play with the cinnamon/nutmeg combo based on what you have...you can also try pumpkin pie spice, ground cloves...just keep your spices at about 3 tsp. total.

These are great with a cream cheese icing, but I actually preferred them without. Grace loved them too...so much that she did not share with the dogs. Seriously, that is noteworthy. Hope you all enjoy.

and you are welcome. :)

xo,
H

No comments:

Post a Comment