Orange jumpsuits.
As in, there were inmates working the fair. Awesome.
D and I gave each other the side eye as we made our way further into the event. I'm sure he wanted to say "I told you so", because the next town over was having a fair that he suspected would be nicer, but I just wanted to stay close to home. At this point I was determined make the best out of it and get some fair food, so on we went. Grace and I shared a corndog and D was happy with his giant turkey leg. We also tried fried oreos and D registered to win a shotgun (why?) from a duck hunting club. So we had that going for us...
Not ones to give up easily, we went to check out the 4H livestock and got to show the Little some roosters, pigs, cows, goats, and bunnies. She loved the bunnies and sort of clung to me, terrified, of the loud roosters. It kind of reminded me of Charlotte's Web, but again, the fair part...was not up to par. There were rickedy old rides, but where were the craft booths or kiddy games? It was Saturday afternoon and we were obviously not there in prime fair going hours, but it was truly awful.
It made for some interesting people watching and by interesting I mean kind of sad. I found myself silently repeating an old saying my mom would tell us growing up: There but by the grace of God go I. I also brought up another one of the things she drilled into my head years ago on an earlier post this week: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Do you all remember Thumper saying that in the Bambi movie!? Love that little guy.
I'm sure all of us have things we distinctly remember being taught by our parents, which got me thinking about what kind of things I want to instill in my daughter. I hope she is kind, humble, and thankful for everything she has. I hope she is the kind of person who sees another child sitting alone at lunch and sits down with them. I hope she tries to see the good in people and is optimistic. Most of all I just hope she is a happy girl .:)
A little Modern Family quote to lighten the mood...
"Your parents fake their way through it. You fake your way through it. And hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." - Phil
No comments:
Post a Comment