Thursday, December 1, 2011

Back to the dreaded Shred

Well hey, Thursday! Remember back in college when Thursday's were dubbed "Thirsty Thursday" and the weekend began after your last class that afternoon? Those were the days. :)

Now my Thirsty Thursday's involve way less booze and way more of sweating my booty off in spin class each evening. I kinda wish I'd spent a few more Thursday's spinning in college...haha. Oh Freshman 15, how I despised you...and then lost you Sophomore year...and welcomed you back Junior year...and kicked your ass to the curb again Senior year. I guess it was a love/hate thing. Kind of like my relationship with Major...

Anyways, I guess you could say that I get on a workout kick and rock it out for periods of time and then occasionally go through lulls, where I'm not as focused or dedicated. I wouldn't say I'm in a lull right now, but I'm definitely not as hardcore as I was earlier this Summer when I finally dropped the rest of the baby weight. I feel like I've been coasting...and I think I'm starting to look like it too. You know that "soft" feeling...where, sure, you might still be fitting into your clothes, but you can feel that slight difference? I'm afraid I'm starting to border onto that territory and with the move coming up (our house will literally be in boxes on a truck one week from today), my schedule is getting crazy, my stress levels are on the rise, and working out has been moved down a couple of notches on my daily to-do lists. It's still happening, it's just not as intense, more rushed, and less enjoyable since I'm usually thinking about what I should be doing at home.


I'm thinking Jillian Michaels might have to make her way back into my rotation while we are in transition between houses. I need to explore the class options at our new (and totally amazing, compared to here) gym on post at Fort Benning. There is also a mile track on post and I'll have to look into local trails. Winter is the hardest time of year for me to stay motivated, so I'm trying to keep on track by keeping my workouts interesting and different. In the past I've never been able to make it 30 full days on the shred. Not because it was too hard, just because I got lazy or bored of the repetition. I don't know if I'm going to commit to the full 30 days in a row...but if I do, you all will be the first to know. :)

Anyone have other suggestions for video workouts or easy things to do outside of the gym? I'd love to add one to my Christmas List for some variety while we are traveling over the holidays!

Aside from the present plans, I'm really looking forward to settling in and starting to train for another half marathon this Spring. A few of my college bffs and I are discussing the OBX Flying Pirate Half in April. By "discussing", I really mean, have already committed to running it together, so I need to jump on board and start planning out my training schedule. It is looking like D's coursework is going to allow for lots of free weekends for a good part of the next year, so we I am already planning to take advantage. I've asked him to train with me...we'll see what comes of that. ;)

I'm off to finish up the work day and get prepped for the some sweating. Everyone ready for Friday!?!?

xo,
H

5 comments:

  1. I'm loving Insanity. It is officially kicking my butt and I'm starting to kinda-barely-maybe see some muscles showing up under the flab. I think you're like me when it comes to working out, which is sweating like a maniac and trying to not pass out, which is pretty much the tag line for Insanity. Let me know the Jillian is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the shred and rely on it for those days I need something quick. It really kicks your butt in a short amount of time. Other videos I like are the beachbody products, Sarah Lurie Kettlebell Iron Core dvds and the Carmen Electra Aerobic Striptease DVD haha. Also, I was thinking about the OBX half too since I live in NC but I was going to see if you wanted to run the RnR half in DC since I know a few others that you may know who are interested. And my husband's new expected grad date is in March, so we'll definitely be at Benning then :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally run the RnR in DC!! Maria is trying to drag me down too ;) I am planning on running the RnR in St Louis in April but running 2 in a month means you don't have to retrain ... right? Haha.

    And the Shred confuses me ... do you do each level a different day? Or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should host a link-up....to kick the rest of us into routine too?! ;)

    ReplyDelete