Thursday, June 16, 2011

Santa Baby

One Christmas morning, roughly 20+ years ago, I awoke to find an amazing gift waiting for me in my stocking. I pulled it out and marveled at it's beauty...there it was...a large, chocolate Santa. Much like the chocolate bunnies you find in Easter baskets, but a lot more jolly and beard-ier.

My Santa was absolutely not this large. There's always next year though.

Oh, I was delighted. I couldn't wait to get my 5 year old sausage fingers all over that delectable goodness. But not of course before being warned by the parentals, "Don't eat the whole thing, Heather. You'll spoil your appetite...", or something to that effect. Who really remembers things from that long ago?

Anyways, I was cautioned and raring to go. So at o' dark thirty on Christmas morning I ate that chocolate Santa...and instead of eating a little and saving the rest of him in the freezer for later, I ate all of him.

And then I promptly threw up my gift.

Why am I telling you all about me blowing chunks at age 5, you ask? Well first off, its a little hilarious, but secondly, because it really speaks to how I've been all my life. Moderation? What's that?

When it's come to the whole baby weight loss process the hardest part for me has been the diet factor. I hate diets, I can't stick to them. But eating a certain way and having consistency has really worked for me. Not limiting myself to portion size has had it benefits as well...aka...I wouldn't be able to stick to a plan if it involved portion control.

Here's a snapshot of my eating habits the last few months:

Breakfast- Cereal or Oatmeal and a coffee the size of my face

Morning snack- Banana

Lunch- Lean Cuisine and a side of raw veggies, how ever much I want.

Afternoon snack- Luna or Zone Protein Bar, sometimes another coffee...not so face-sized

Dinner- Normal dinner, cooked at home, with a protein and a side or two.

Dessert- Jello 60 calorie mousse. Every night. They are the bomb.com

This varies from day to day, but the meal times are the same. I mix up lean cuisines and dinner options. I try to chug water through out the day. It's easy and I don't have much time to over think it. When we go out I get whatever I want. When I want to unwind at the end of the day, sometimes I have a glass or two of wine or maybe even a couple beers if we're feeling festive around these parts.

The point is, limiting yourself, or hearing someone tell you not to do something generally makes us tempted to do the exact opposite. My advice would be to just make smart choices and then fill up on them!

What are your tips for sticking to a good eating plan when trying to lose weight? We've talked about the exercising part of things before, but let's mix it up! I love hearing other people's advice, so bring it on!

Now that I've bored you with a post all about what I eat I'm sure you'll never come back to this site again, but if you do, possibly later this afternoon, you might see Part 1 of my Blog Sale!

Just sayin'.

xo,
H

1 comment:

  1. Bahaha, agreed---D and I work out hard so I can eat whatever I want. ;) But I will say the easiest way for me to drop weight is to just have my morning smoothie for breakfast (aka none of hub's carby pancakes!) and to limit my dairy (especially yummy, fatty cheese) intake. Everything still tastes good even if it's got a bit less cheese. When we eat a lot of calories, then we just make sure to hike another trek in the week---sounds win-win to me!

    ReplyDelete