Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our Love Story

I've been meaning to do a little write up since I saw this cute link-up a couple of weeks ago and although I've been procrastinating, I think today is as appropriate a day as any. :)


1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
D and I have been together since January of 2008, so just a little over 4 years now.


2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}
Our "love story" is certainly not the most romantic. I actually met D randomly at a bar one night in November 2007, not knowing who he was. He was out with two girls who were acting super trashy and I didn't know what to think about him beyond that fact that there was definitely an attraction...and he had sweet dance moves. ;) 

My friends and I were definitely going through a "we can't believe we graduated and are out of college" phase where we were going out every weekend and acting like we didn't have jobs to go into on Monday. It was a blast. My best friend Amanda has known D since high school when she dated his best friend. After meeting him that random night, it clicked that we both knew her. Amanda finally invited him to come out with us in January after seeing him back home over Christmas break.

Enter scandal. I was actually dating someone at the time...but the relationship was clearly on the decline. After going out that night in January, things ended with my relationship about a week later and I kept looking for excuses to have D come out with my group of friends every weekend. It was sort of obvious we were interested in each other and we started dating a couple of weeks later when he asked when I was going to let him take me out on a date, instead of just meeting up to go drinking and dancing every weekend. I took him up on the offer and we've been together ever since.

Who would have thought we'd go from having our first kiss under a giant mounted moose head at Rumors on M Street in D.C. to creating a wonderful life together? We've grown up and settled down a lot in the past several years. :)

3. If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell}
We got married on November 28th, 2009, so it's been just a little over 2 years. Coming up on 3 this year...that sounds so much more solid than 2 for some reason! Ha. :)


4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding? If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?
We got married at The Golf Club at Lansdowne Resort near Ashburn, VA, where I grew up. It was a fairly big wedding, with about 150 people. We were engaged in June and I basically planned our entire wedding while he was in Ranger School. It kept me nice and busy! :)

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!
Hmm...Mommy and Daddy are most common now. "D-bag" when I'm mad...haha. Don't worry, he has some equally rude names for me. ;)

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
He is very driven, funny, and has become the best husband/father/partner that I could have ever hoped for.


7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?
D proposed when I was visiting him at Fort Benning (where we are now!) for his IBOLC or IOBC graduation...can't remember which acronym, haha, oops. (Basically an officer's training course that is taken right after commissioning for those of you non-mil folks.) We had plans to go to Destin, FL for the weekend after his graduation and he had the whole proposal on the beach thing planned. When I got to Georgia he realized he was too excited to wait and rushed home from work, still in uniform, where I was waiting for him to be done for the day and proposed on the spot. I knew it was coming soon, but wasn't expecting like that, so it was actually a perfect surprise! Our weekend in Florida ended up being a graduation and engagment celebration. :)


8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?
Neither. He's a flowers and something thoughtful that I'd never expect kind of guy. He doesn't go over the top, but he always lets me know I'm loved...v-day or not. (Awww.)


9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
I think I am a little of both. We both adore the beach, so pre-baby, a sunset dinner was totally realistic. Still, I'm definitely a homebody, so a movie at home all cozy on the couch is much more our style right now.

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
We need a mommy/daddy vacation again sometime soon. On a beach. With no alarm clocks. I would love to go all out for our 10 year when we are definitely done having kids and go somewhere tropical and renew our vows with just us and a local officient on a beach somewhere. I think that would be sort of romantic and amazing.

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.
We are going to make a nice dinner at home...the menu seriously makes my mouth water. I'm sure we'll pop something bubbly and have a treat for dessert. Nothing over the top...sleep trumps an elaborate date night at this point in our lives.


12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
I didn't ask for anything, but I know we both have a few little things planned for each other.


13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
Be a team. Doing anything together is twice as easy as alone.

 
14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.
D is not a fan of being on the blog, which is a shame because he is nice eye candy. :) Fortunately what love means to me doesn't even have to include either of us in the picture. This little lady is the product of our love. We still marvel at the fact that we made something so ridiculously perfect.



Happy Valentine's Day!!! Sending you all virtual candy! ;)

xo,
H

1 comment:

  1. This is cute! I hope you don't mind but I am copying it since I am at a loss for what to blog about and it is perfect for today. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete